Sunday, June 16, 2013

LAST BLOG POST!


            The last blog post before the end of the year… there are so many things to ponder about, my experience, how I felt as I typed them, and how to express them in my best possible words. I feel like this the conclusion to all the thoughts I’ve had this year about ELA, like the ending of a lengthy book. Holding back doesn’t seem right at this point in this year, and there doesn’t seem like a “bottom of a page” exists. My introduction is meant to hold the information, but for this time, my paragraphs will manage.

In what ways did you benefit from the experience?

            From these blog posts, I learned, by instinct, how to shove my masses of unintelligible thoughts of a book into a restricted capacity. When I read a book, I usually have a lot of after thoughts, and so I pour it onto a blog. When I type, I keep going and rambling on without exactly knowing how long it turns out to be. My summary of Eldest is an example of this. It was originally about three times longer so I had to cut it down by removing unnecessary details, which created something like dozens of mini summaries in a summary. Making blog posts made me realize that I had the power to control and manipulate my words. Also, the blog posts made me think more deeply. When doing the blog posts, I type without thinking. After it is done, I am able to look back and review my thoughts. This helps me remember how I felt when I was still immersed in the book. By doing this, I could improve my thinking processes and also my memory.

In what ways can writing online be liberating? Limiting?

            While writing online, I keep in mind that others are able to see my posts, and because of this, I could change the content of what I would normally write somewhere else. Online, I would write about what I would want to be expressed to others. When others can see my blog, I usually work harder to make it seem better, and to give ideas that I want the reader to know. Writing these blog posts online can also be limiting what I display.  When writing somewhere else, I know that what I put down on paper is what only I can see. Writing online eliminates the option of privacy. When there is no privacy, I tend to not show things that I would normally write to myself, and I feel that restraining myself hurts me as a writer.

Is writing online different from a notebook? In what ways?

            When writing entries in a notebook, people often limit themselves by saying “we only need to write two pages,” and coming up with excuses. This is because a page of notebook does not have enough space to express all of your emotions. Alternatively, writing online gives you an infinite amount of space, so you won’t be afraid to say what you need to say without overexerting. Another difference is that your writing skills can improve. After creating a writing piece online, you are able to go over it and make more corrections than it is possible on an ordinary sheet of loose-leaf. In addition, many more people can comment and tell you what went great and what you can improve and work on.

Do people type things they would never say to a person's face? Do you think this is a good or bad thing? Why?

I believe that this is a good thing, because I would never be able to say these things aloud in real life. My mind would just go almost completely blank, and my IQ would feel like it was reduced by half. Writing on a computer really helps me express myself personally. When I’m on the computer/laptop, I talk to others the same way others on an online device may talk to me. This makes me feel more equal to others when they “speak” the same way. It sometimes feels awkward to say things that I want to say, knowing that people can hear and remember if I somehow screw up. When I’m writing, I can always correct myself when something doesn’t seem completely correct.


            I know, I haven’t used any quotes or cited information to write what I have, because this is my reflection and it doesn’t seem necessary to include those. In the end, it seems like what I have learned this year with blog posts has really paid off and helped me with life. Maybe it brought me to the level of the writer I am today, so I’m thankful I had this experience. Since, (assuming) it helped me this much, this might not be the last post in my life.

 

          

No comments:

Post a Comment